- To advance the level of aerodynamic design of vehicles and other devices by generating design and development test data.
- To advance the state-of-the-art in aerodynamics, fluid mechanics, and closely related disciplines through experimental research.
- To advance the state-of-the-art in wind tunnel testing methods to include modelling arrangements, instrumentation, and increasing the integration of computing capability for rapid data presentation and on line comparison of results of measurements, analysis, and computations.
- To contribute to the education of undergraduate and graduate students at UMCP.
- To provide service to the citizens of the area, the state, and nation by hosting visitors and engaging in other educational activities to enhance and broaden the understanding of the influence of aerodynamics in various human activities.
The Glenn L. Martin Wind Tunnel is a state-of-the-art low speed wind tunnel that has been actively involved in aerodynamic research and development since 1949. It was constructed as part of a gift to the University in the late 1940's. It was provided with the best available equipment at the time of its construction and has been frequently upgraded to maintain it as a state of the art facility. It is large enough to perform extensive development tests for a wide range of vehicles and other systems and is well suited for conducting major research efforts in low speed aerodynamics and hydrodynamics. The range of applications for subsonic aerodynamic tests is very broad.
Through more than 2200 tests, the GLMWT has helped collect data on a wide variety of aerodynamics challenges. From airplanes to automobiles and bobsleds to building structures, we have a wide-range of experience addressing diverse aerodynamic designs.
The GLMWT is International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) compliant and accustomed to handling both export controlled information and confidentiality agreements.
The GLMWT has been a source of data for research programs snd produc design support for more than 300 clients from across industry and government. Just a few of our clients include:
Vertical Takeoff Aircraft
- Helicopters, tandem & single rotor
- Jet VTOL
- Tilt wing
- Fuselage and component drag buildup
- Rotor research, aerodynamic and stability studies
Unmanned Air Vehicles
- Decoy vehicles
- Lifting re-entry bodies
- Jet fighters
- Jet transports
- General aviation
- Jet trainers
- Flying boats
- Ultra-light airplanes
- Automotive testing of gas, hybrid, and electric vehicles
- Air cushion vehicles
- Railroad cars
Sport Aerodynamic Testing
- Speed Skaters
Buildings, Antennas, and Other Structures
- Radar antennas
- Bridge Sections
- Roofing systems
Submarine and Surface Ships
- Control plane gap and planform studies
- Interference drag studies
- Configuration buildup studies for drag and controllability
- Aircraft carriers
- Flow quality on superyachts