- To advance the level of aerodynamic design of vehicles and other devices by generating design and development test data.
- To advance the state-of-the-art in aerodynamics, fluid mechanics, and closely related disciplines through experimental research.
- To advance the state-of-the-art in wind tunnel testing methods to include modelling arrangements, instrumentation, and increasing the integration of computing capability for rapid data presentation and on line comparison of results of measurements, analysis, and computations.
- To contribute to the education of undergraduate and graduate students at UMCP.
- To provide service to the citizens of the area, the state, and nation by hosting visitors and engaging in other educational activities to enhance and broaden the understanding of the influence of aerodynamics in various human activities.
The GLMWT has been a source of data for research programs snd produc design support for more than 300 clients from across industry and government. Just a few of our clients include:
Vertical Takeoff Aircraft
- Helicopters, tandem & single rotor
- Jet VTOL
- Tilt wing
- Fuselage and component drag buildup
- Rotor research, aerodynamic and stability studies
Unmanned Air Vehicles
- Decoy vehicles
- Lifting re-entry bodies
- Jet fighters
- Jet transports
- General aviation
- Jet trainers
- Flying boats
- Ultra-light airplanes
- Automotive testing of gas, hybrid, and electric vehicles
- Air cushion vehicles
- Railroad cars
Sport Aerodynamic Testing
- Speed Skaters
Buildings, Antennas, and Other Structures
- Radar antennas
- Bridge Sections
- Roofing systems
Submarine and Surface Ships
- Control plane gap and planform studies
- Interference drag studies
- Configuration buildup studies for drag and controllability
- Aircraft carriers
- Flow quality on superyachts